Home
FAQ/How To
Contact Us
Links
ARMY MEDICINE A-Z
SiteMap
ARMY.MIL
AKO
Lists
Video WebCasts
ACCESS TO CARE
Access to Care Definitions
AMSMS/Relay Health
Health Benefits and Information
Emergency & Urgent Care
How to make/cancel appointments
TRICARE
Self Care Program
WELCOME TO KAHC
Commander's Bio
Sergeant Major's Bio
Command Leadership Page
Feedback to the Commander
The Joint Commission Accreditaton
GENERAL INFORMATION
Kenner Connection Feature Article
Employment
History of Kenner Army Health Clinic
MG Albert Kenner's Biography
Incoming Soldiers and Employees
Important Links
Phone Directory
Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Hours of Operation
KAHC Balanced Score Card
Kenner Inbound Sponsorship
FORT LEE AREA SPOUSES CLUB (FLASC)
PATIENT ADVOCATE / CUSTOMER FEEDBACK
CLINICS
Active Duty Clinic
* Physical Exams (PHA)
Family Medicine Clinic (formerly Primary Care Clinic)
Pediatrics Clinic (Wilkerson)
Troop Medical Clinic 1 (TMC1)
Mosier Troop Medical & Dental Clinic (TMC2)
SPECIALTY SERVICES
Army Wellness Center
Department of Behavioral Health
Dermatology
Nutrition Services
Optometry
Orthopedics
Physical Therapy
Physical Therapy Videos
Referral Center
Social Work
ANCILLARY SERVICES
Laboratory
Pharmacy
Radiology
PREVENTIVE MEDICINE
Preventive Medicine - Army Public Health Nursing
Preventive Medicine - Environmental Health
Preventive Medicine - Occupational Health
Preventive Medicine - Industrial Hygiene
OTHER SERVICES
Case Management
Exceptional Family Member Program
Medical Records
Patient Administration/MEB
Soldier Readiness
DENTAC
VETERINARY SERVICES
Skip Navigation LinksKenner Army Health Clinic

 History of Kenner Army Health Clinic


Construction of a hospital at Camp Lee began in November 1940, as America mobilized for her inevitable involvement in World War II. Camp Lee’s Station Hospital was ready for occupancy on 30 March 1941 with 871 beds. By October 1942, the hospital had expanded to 2,000 beds. Camp Lee’s hospital was redesignated a regional hospital on 7 June 1944, the day after “Operation Overlord” (D-day invasion) was launched.

The hospital was downsized in 1947, when the bed capacity was reduced to 1,100 beds. The hospital was renovated in 1949 and redesignated US Army Hospital, Fort Lee in 1950, when Camp Lee was named a permanent post. In addition to the redesignation, the bed capacity was reduced further to 200 beds.

As part of Fort Lee’s conversion from World War II vintage wooden structures to modern structures, groundbreaking for the current facility took place in 1959. Plans called for the new facility to operate 100 beds, built on a platform with the capability to expand to 200 beds. On 16 April 1962, Kenner Army Hospital was dedicated in memory of Major General Albert W. Kenner, Medical Corps, a veteran of World Wars I and II.

The outpatient wing was added in 1975-1976, effectively tripling the square footage available for patient care. Completion of this project was followed by the renovation of the original building in 1977. A second renovation began in June 1996 in order to bring the facility in compliance with the current Life Safety codes for an inpatient facility. The upgrade, begun in June 1996, lasted until April 1997.

Kenner Army Community Hospital received two Army Superior Unit Awards. The first citation was awarded in 1985 to recognize the innovative use of Medical Unit Self-contained Transportable (MUST) hospital operating room equipment during a renovation of the facility’s operating rooms. The second citation was awarded in 1990-1991 to recognize outstanding support rendered during the deployment and subsequent demobilization of troops that participated in Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

In July 1995, the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Commission selected Kenner Army Community Hospital as a potential candidate to downsize its operations. On 1 August 1996, inpatient and Emergency Department capabilities were eliminated.

On 1 October 1996, Kenner Army Community Hospital was officially redesignated Kenner Army Health Clinic. Kenner staff re-focused their efforts and worked collaboratively with our local TRICARE community to manage the tremendous changes effectively.

Kenner currently has a staff of 92 military,144 civilians and 62 contract staff meeting the health care needs of the 30,000 Soldiers, family members and retirees in the Fort Lee and surrounding communities. The future for Kenner is bright as we continue to strive toward becoming a Primary Care Center of Excellence supporting the growth and diversity of the Fort Lee community.


AlbertKenner General Albert W. Kenner

General Albert W. Kenner grew up in Virginia and graduated from George Washington University. He served as a medical officer with the First Infantry Division in France in World War I. During his tour, he was wounded in action and cited for gallantry during that campaign. During World War II, MG Kenner was the Chief Surgeon for Operation Torch, the amphibious landings at Casablanca in 1942. Operation Torch is distinguished as the longest transport over water by an invasion force, since the troop convoys formed on America’s east cost, crossed the Atlantic Ocean (infested with German U-boats) and completed a coordinated attack of British and American forces. Based on his experiences and demonstrated leadership, he was named Chief Medical Officer for Operation Overlord, the allied landings in Normandy, France on 6 June 1944. He continued his service as the first European Theater Surgeon immediately following cessation of hostilities in Europe and retired from active duty in 1952.

Read more about MG Kenner in Bob Hufford's essay on his life at the Find A Grave website.


 General Information

  History of the Kenner Army Health Clinic Insignia Badge